SPECIAL 2017-2018 Category... Change the world today
Prepare tobacco farmers for an era of reduced demand!
The negative impacts of smoking are well-known and the global decline of smoking will have many positive health impacts across the world... no question about that. But it is a little known fact that there are negative consequences in low-income countries who depend on tobacco farming as a thriving industry. The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World's (FSFW) mission is to eliminate cigarette smoking worldwide, and to mobilize support for people who are disproportionately burdened by the rapid transition away from smoking, starting with smallholder tobacco farmers in low-income and middle-income countries. This year the Conrad Challenge is partnering with our friends at FSFW to tackle this deep area of neglect: helping tobacco farmers in these countries to create alternative livelihoods... and we need YOU.
For the 2017-2018 Challenge, students are invited to design 21st century solutions to re-purpose global farmland that is currently used for tobacco production, especially in African countries. These solutions can come in many forms and be applied to the Challenge's traditional categories.
Here are just a few recent articles and product examples surrounding this issue:
CNBC: Why getting farmers to switch from tobacco farms is a struggle
VOA News: Zimbabwe tobacco booming, but farmers growing it are not
Here are just a few product examples and brainstorming ideas:
- Instruments to test/change soil composite
- Re-purposing soil for other uses, other crops and industries
- Re-purposing tobacco for other uses
- The Washington Times: Company uses engineered tobacco to create jet fuel
- Live Science: Tobacco plants turn into living vaccine factories
- Tools, technology to support the re-purposing of soil
- Converting land to other uses other than agriculture (i.e. solar farm, water treatment facility)
- Technology to train farmers for other industries, manage money, etc.
Don't miss your chance to join this revolution! This special category gives you a seat at the table to help FSFW determine which alternatives are the most viable. In the future, FSFW plans to bring together private, development and public players to invest in pilot solutions.
IMPORTANT ITEMS TO NOTE WITH THIS NEW CATEGORY:
- The Smoke-Free World category will follow all of the traditional guidelines for all three rounds of the Conrad Challenge.
- The Smoke-Free World category will adhere to the Challenge timeline.
- Teams entering ONLY the Smoke-Free World are subject to the full registration fee of $250. Register here.
- Teams who are already registered in another category of the Conrad Challenge are encouraged to enter this special category. There will be no additional fee for this extra category if you have already successfully registered.
- If you have previously registered, and your team would like to ALSO SUBMIT IN Smoke-Free World, please submit an additional registration form with all team information for the Smoke-Free World category entry but no payment is required.
- Smoke-Free World will be judged with the same criteria and a Pete Conrad Scholar will be selected within this category. Smoke-Free World will also have special judges from the Foundation for a Smoke-Free World with the potential for additional prizes and awards.